Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Only Man

IMGP3657.JPG
That's what Luke was at our brunch this morning. Unfortunately, Alex's husband was unable to join us, leaving Luke alone with me and my three former college roommates. Somehow, with all of this delicious food about, I don't think he really noticed or minded. Here's the lineup: We started with some very yummy virgin mimosas - sparkling white grape juice and orange juice.

IMGP3636.JPG
A tasty selection of teas.

IMGP3653.JPG
Got milk? We did!

IMGP3631.JPG
A bowl of apples, bananas, and my favorite - California cuties.

IMGP3644.JPG
The main course - A Provençal tart made with a thin layer of dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust, a layer of shredded Gruyere cheese, sliced roma tomatoes, a custard filling of eggs and cream, topped with sautéed spinach (which the recipe actually did not call for, but I thought sounded good), and sprinkled with a mixture of Herbs de Provence (which I sort of improvised since I didn't have this specific French blend - I used Marjoram, Thyme, Basil, and Rosemary). Simply heavenly!

IMGP3659.JPG
A 'lil meat on the side. Yummy bacon and little smokies.

IMGP3651.JPG
And for a sweet bite these orange chocolate scones with chocolate chips - flavored with fresh orange zest and juice and orange marmalade.

IMGP3638.JPG
Eventually, the testosterone at our little gathering increased slightly when young master Patrick joined us at the head of the table. All in all, a wonderful morning fellowshipping with three precious friends over a quite tasty meal.

2 comments:

  1. that was a really fun morning. thanks so much for your hospitality. i think i'm going to attempt tartes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should! Let me know if you need any pointers on making your first crust. And I would highly recommend the Once Upon A Tart cookbook. Soooo many yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete